There is no better food than breast milk for a baby’s first year of life. Breastfeeding provides many health, nutritional and emotional benefits to both mother and baby. Mothers enrolled in the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program are encouraged to breastfeed their infants, unless there is a medical reason not to.
The WIC program supports breastfeeding in many ways. Specially trained counselors provide WIC mothers with breastfeeding encouragement, education and support, both from MCHD WIC counselors as well as other counselors through a 24/7 app called Pacify. Many moms are eligible to receive or borrow breast pumps at no cost. Breastfeeding mothers are also eligible to participate in WIC longer and can receive enhanced food packages, if they breastfeed exclusively.
If you are interested in breastfeeding your baby, MCHD WIC can help.
WIC Breastfeeding Counselors for Doddridge, Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Preston and Taylor Counties:
- Lynne Ryan, BA, IBCLC - Monongalia County (304) 598-5181
- Angie Rebrook, IBCLC - Harrison County (304) 848-9680
- Sandra Fitchett - Preston County (304) 329-1957
- Michelle Kline, CLC Monongalia County (304) 598-5182
- Brandi Rugh, CLC - Taylor County (304) 598-5190
- Cassidy Allison, IBCLC - Monongalia County (304) 598-5182
- Brittany Smith - Harrison County (304) 848-9680
- Susie Boreing, CLC - Monongalia County (304) 598-5181
- Chrissy Rodeheaver, CLC - Monongalia County (304) 598-5181
MCHD WIC's retired breastfeeding coordinator. Lynne Ryan, now serving as a WIC breastfeeding consultant, conducted this breastfeeding class about 10 years ago. MCHD WIC offers free breastfeeding classes for all pregnant and new moms in its six-county region, which includes Monongalia, Preston, Marion, Harrison, Doddridge and Taylor counties.
Please feel free to watch this video to learn more about breastfeeding. Clients also can get information from consultants via phone consultations and the Pacify app. Here is the schedule for free breastfeeding classes that are open to the public, including non-WIC participants:
WIC Breastfeeding Class Schedule
WIC breastfeeding classes are open to the public. Please call ahead to verify the class schedule.
- Doddridge: second Wednesday of the month at 1 p.m.
- Harrison: first and fourth Wednesday at 3 p.m., third Wednesday at 10 a.m.
- Marion: first, second and third Tuesday at 2 p.m.
- Monongalia: first and third Wednesday at 4 pm, second Wednesday at 10 a.m.
- Preston: first and third Thursday at 11 a.m.
- Taylor: second Friday at 1 p.m.
Breast Pump Program
MCHD WIC maintains a limited inventory of manual and electric breast pumps. Only active WIC participants are eligible to borrow or receive a WIC pump, and pumps are issued based on need and availability. WIC does not fill pump prescriptions for insurance companies.
Annual Breastfeeding Walk
To celebrate World Breastfeeding Week, we host an annual Breastfeeding Awareness Walk during the first week of August in Morgantown. We want to show local mothers that the community supports, and thanks, them for their decision to breastfeed. Men, women and children are invited to attend.